Poetry in motion: A video weblog

Monday, August 18, 2008

Punch In



Here we have a fan-made video of the Nintendo classic MIKE TYSON'S PUNCH OUT, showcasing one gamer's run to the finish, only taking one punch. Growing up with two older brothers, I spent a lot of time watching others play video games, basically waiting for my turn. Being the youngest son, my turn didn't always come, but I came to enjoy watching the little movies video games provided without actually playing them.

The game-play of PUNCH OUT, like most early Nintendo, is quite simple, limited to one background, and based on learned movements and patterns. Years later, when I returned to this game, I made the comment that what the game boils down to is simply learning the "dance" of all the characters.

I realize gaming has become more cinematic, but my experience never went much further than Nintendo. I don't expect anyone to make it through the entire video, but know, for me, this is probably the first structuralist film with which I became fascinated.

No comments: